Sunday, March 8, 2015

The How-to of Trader Joe's Produce - Part One

I should mention that I shop all over, at every grocery store in town.  There are certain things I need to buy at certain places.

And Trader Joe's is no different.  I don't like all of their produce.  Here are my tips for quick produce shopping at TJ's.

YAY:
  • Bananas - they are crazy cheap.  Like 19 cents each.
  • Organic bagged Carrots - these are delicious and soooo cheap.  89 cents a bag.  You do have to peel them, but it is totally worth it because they taste WAY better than those gross baby carrots. (see photo below).
  • Avocados - organic or not, I have always had great avocados there.
  • Persian Cucumbers - these come about 5 or 6 to a sleeve and they are tiny, cute and delicious.  I have not found their equal - at any other store, including the big fancy organic grocery store. (see photo below).
  • D'Anjou Pears - Have you had one?  They are SO good from anywhere, and make the Bartlett taste inedible, but they are large, juicy and meaty at TJ.
  • Grapefruit, oranges, lemons and Clementines - all good.  We love Clementines and the ones at TJ are terrific and cheaper than our local grocery store.  Why can't someone grow them year round?  Hate those Mandarins that sneak in every year and fool me into thinking they are Clementines.
  • Blueberries - delicious and fairly priced.  Sometimes, they even have large containers, great for freezing.  (see photo below)
  • Zucchini - These usually come two to a sleeve and I have always been pleased with them.  I make zucchini muffins a lot.
  • Onions and garlic - YAY!  Nothing more to say...

NAY:
  • Strawberries - these are hit or miss.  Twice, they went bad really fast (like super fuzzy and gross after a day or two.)  Keep n mind that you can get a full refund if you return the item - even an empty box.  And you don't even need a receipt.  But, I never do that because that would require a trip back to TJ prematurely, and I just don't have the time.
  • Grapes - for what you get, they aren't worth the money.  My kids go through purple grapes FAST and the little containers they carry at TJ just don't cut it for us.
  • Apples - see entry about grapes.  Not worth the price at TJ.

A few of my faves in the produce section of TJ.
 




No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips